H-2 Temporary Worker Visas


1. What is a H-2 Visa?

The H-2 is an nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign worker to come to the U.S. to perform agricultural labor or service of a temporary or seasonal nature, or to perform other temporary service or labor if unemployed persons capable of performing such service or labor cannot be found in the U.S. An alien applying for a H-2 visa must have a residence in a foreign country which he/she has no intention of abandoning and must come temporarily to the U.S.

2. Temporary agricultural workers: H-2A.

In 1986 Congress enacted a provision that allows agricultural guest workers to supply needed farm labor at wages that enable growers to keep prices down for consumers. But as before, the employer must still obtain from the Labor Department a certification that sufficient American workers cannot be found and that the alien's employer will not depress the wages or working conditions of American workers. For the latter purpose the Labor Department annually publishes "adverse effect wage rates" (AEWR's) that vary from state to state. These are the minimum hourly rates that employers must pay H-2A farmworkers.

Form I-129:

The petition must be filed by a U.S. employer or an association of U.S. agricultural producers named as a joint employer on the certification. The petition must be filed with:

More on the H-2A Visa

3. Other temporary workers: H-2B.

H-2B workers are coming temporarily to engage in non-agricultural employment that is seasonal, intermittent, to meet a peak load need, or for a one-time ocurence. These aliens are initially admitted up to a year. They may receive one-year extensions up to three years. The H-2B visa was created to enable employers to fill jobs for which labor is in short supply. Therefore, the H-2B's must first apply for labor certification. The Labor Dapartment's temporary labor certification does not bind the INS; conversely, the alien may overcome the Labor Department's denial of labor certification by presenting countervailing evidence to the INS.

Form I-129:

The petition must be filed by a U.S. employer with either:

DG 04/99

CAPRIOTTI & Associates International Law
Immigration · Nationality · Consular Process
North America & Europe
P.O. Box 2792 · Portland, OR 97208-2792
Fax: 1-503-223-3886 · Voice: 1-503-221-1600

We have a North America TOLL-FREE number available for our clients. Please ask Mr. Capriotti.

Information on how to write Mr. Capriotti

Top of Page · Home Page · Information on Immigration Options · H-3 Trainee Visa
The information given in this Web site is intended as general information only.
It does not substitute for the services of an immigration attorney in a specific case.

© 1995-2003 F.J. Capriotti III. All rights reserved.