Fiancés and Fiancees

The K-Visa, what is it?

The K-visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows the fiancé(e) of an U.S. citizen, who is outside the U.S., to enter the U.S. The alien fiancé(e) receives K-1 status, and any alien minor children accompanying or following to join receive K-2 status.

Note: After the marriage the alien spouse should apply promptly to the INS for permanent residence, using Form I-485.

Benefits of an K-Visa

K-Visa Requirements

Forms and Documents Checklist



No Adjustment or Change of Status

An alien admitted under subsection K may not

The permanent residence that results from an adjustment of status to that of permanent resident on the basis of marriage will be conditional under IMFA (Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments). The IMFA conditions apply only to a permanent resident status that results from a marriage that is less than two years old.

DG 04/99

CAPRIOTTI & Associates International Law
Immigration · Nationality · Consular Process
North America & Europe
P.O. Box 2972 · Portland, OR 97208-2792
Fax: 1-503-223-3886 · Voice: 1-503-221-1600

We have a North America TOLL-FREE number available for our clients. Please ask Mr. Capriotti.

Information on how to write Mr. Capriotti

Home Page · Information on Immigration Options
The information given in this Web site is intended as general information only.
It does not substitute for the services of an immigration attorney in a specific case.

© 1995-2003 F.J. Capriotti III. All rights reserved.